Monday, February 20, 2012

Catullus 2: The Sparrow


Sparrow of my sweet, delicious girl
with whom she loves to play, to  hold soft furled
between her breasts, to tease so that it pecks
against  her outstretched finger with its beak,
it pleases my darling girl, I think, when she
is weighed down by god knows what miseries
to play with you as solace for her sweet
sadnesses and so to calm loves heat;
I’d also love to hold you, as she does
and, as she does, to lighten my heart’s cares.
*
This is as sweet to me as people tell
About the golden fruit that in the song
Caused the girdle of the nimble girl
To loosen that had cinched her waist too long


Passer, deliciae meae puellae,
quicum ludere, quem in sinu tenere,
cui primum digitum dare appetenti
et acris solet incitare morsus,
cum desiderio meo nitenti
carum nescio quid lubet iocari
et solaciolum sui doloris,
credo ut tum gravis acquiescat ardor:
tecum ludere sicut ipsa possem
et tristis animi levare curas!
*
Tam gratum est mihi quam ferunt puellae
pernici aureolum fuisse malum,
quod zonam soluit diu ligatam

No comments:

Post a Comment